Legal Marriage Thailand
Let our Phuket Wedding Planners help assist you with some of the legal issues that can arise with getting married in Thailand. We realize that every case is different and depending on your country it will be important for you to check with your Embassy as well. At Bespoke Experiences we have experience in non-religious ceremonies, traditional Buddhist ceremonies, Christian, Catholic, and Civil Partnership marriage ceremonies. To legally register for a marriage in Thailand, a certain amount of paperwork must be completed in Bangkok. At Bespoke Experiences we can oversee this process by arranging all necessary appointments and documentation required. Additionally, we can provide you with an English speaking guide and even transport you to and from the government offices. In most instances, authorities in your home country will also acknowledge your legal marriage in Thailand.
How does this happen? The legal marriage registration process requires:
- A visit to the appropriate Embassy office(s) in Bangkok to complete an affidavit to marry. At Bespoke Experiences we can advise you on what documents you will need to bring with you to the Embassy as it differs for each nationality and country.
- Both marriage parties will need to complete individual affidavits.
- If you have previously been married, you may also need to complete an additional form to verify your freedom to remarry (additional costs are required).
- The completed affidavits are translated into Thai.
- The Thai Foreign Ministry in Bangkok must authorize the forms.
- Once all documents are authorized, you will visit the local government office (Amphur) to complete the legal marriage certificate or have the local Amphur official attend your Wedding Ceremony at your chosen Resort. After the ceremony you are now legally married in Thailand!
- Your legal marriage certificate and accompanying documentation are translated into English.
- The Thai Foreign Ministry in Bangkok then authorizes the translated legal marriage certificate and accompanying documentation.
- All completed and translated legal marriage documents will be forwarded to you at your Thailand Hotel or sent to you at your home address –EMS post.
- Please Note: For some nationalities, there may be additional paperwork and Embassy requirements to fulfill. We will advise you if this is the case.